With blueberries everyone thinks of muffins, but muffins are awkward eating and messy especially in public. Peel the paper off the outside, try to stop the crumbs from flying all over the table and then stuff portions indelicately into one’s mouth while having a conversation is soooo fun.
To celebrate Springtime, I bought blueberries. I tasted them before making anything. They were not sweet. I liked the idea of this one layer Blueberry Cake recipe, I found on Simply Recipes as an alternative to making Blueberry Muffins. It was a treat! It suited my blueberry hankering perfectly. Adapted here are a few substitutions I used in this cake.
- 1 cup (130 g) all purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon of flour (plus more for prepping cake pan)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon *Used cardamon
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 113 g, 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened *Substituted 1/2 cup of Sicilian olive oil
- 3/4 cup (160 g) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract *added a teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional) Left out the lemon zest
- 2 cups (325g) blueberries, rinsed and drained (if using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain first) *Subtracted from this amount to 1 and a 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice – *No Lemon juice – I added 1 tsp+ of water to make the batter less stiff.
- Powdered sugar for dusting *skipped this step
I would have used the lemon, but had no desire to mask-up, or drive to buy a lemon at the store.
Please see the Method of putting the Blueberry cake together by Elise Bauer, which I did not exactly follow. I put all the dry ingredients together plus a teaspoon of cardamon. Ms Bauer uses a mixer.
Using olive oil made it easy to cream the sugar, oil, and egg together at the same time, then add in the vanilla to that – all by hand. Then mixed, with a stick mixer, the dry into the wet ingredients. In the end I folded the blueberries in gently.
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake in an 8 or 9 inch round pan or spring form pan on the middle rack in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
This Blueberry cake recipe was very easy and perfect as a snack cake. It is moist and has a nice flavor and texture. share some cake with friends over coffee.
Thanks for stopping by my kitchen.
Enjoy spring weather or a good day wherever you find yourself.