Kale is plentiful in the farmers’ market at this time of year. I received a spoof online about the dangers of eating kale as the vegetable de jour from Food, Inc., which is a site that keeps me up on what’s happening in the food industry. Yup. Food Industry is the word I used. That’s what it is, an industry, more precisely a global industry that everyone is involved in, one way or another.
It’s in the 50s today and it may rain. *Sigh* where did that brief warm reprieve go?
“Stamppot (English: Mash Pot) is a traditional Dutch dish made from a combination of potatoes mashed with one or several other vegetables, sometimes also with bacon. These vegetable pairings traditionally include sauerkraut, endive, kale, spinach, turnip greens, or carrot and onion (the combination of the latter two is known as hutspot in the Netherlands and as wortelstoemp in Belgium). It is usually served with sausage (in the Netherlands often smoked, …” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamppot Retrieved October 12, 2013.
To make this Potato and Kale recipe – it’s a one-pot recipe – get out your Rada’s vegetable peeler, from the Rada Knife manufacturers. Peeling potatoes is a snap! I was told, “imported from Iowa”, when I bought mine and more for gifts at the Lyndale Farmers’ Market. (Best darn vegetable peeler on both sides of the Mississippi. American made since 1948 in Waverly, Iowa.) https://www.radacutlery.com/
The Dutch Stamppot recipes add many things to dress it up. Take away the sausage and add grated Gouda or Jarlsberg cheese, or add carrots. I am going to add herb goat cheese and see how that tastes. Love that goat cheese! Comfort food weather…
I served this yesterday with Turkey Kielbasa, bought at the Wedge Co-op, to Richard and Anita as we set to pulling leaves off home grown basil from their community garden for a big batch of Pesto. Richard spoiled us with home made vegetable tempura and dipping sauce. He made shrimp tempura too, but I declined that as shrimp has the highest amount of cholesterol in the known Food Universe.
Recipe for Potato and Kale Stamppot
Food Network provided this recipe with the name “Hash”, but this is mashed, not hashed vegetables. Let’s say it’s a mash-up!
3 lbs potatoes
1 bay leaf
1 lb kale
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground pepper
1 lb smoked sausage
2 tablespoons butter
1-tablespoon vinegar from the Dutch recipe*
1. Peel and dice potatoes and onions.
2. Clean, trim and slice kale.
3. Add the potatoes, onion, kale, a bay leaf, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover all in a 3-quart pan.
4. Cover and boil gently for about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile steam the smoked sausage for the same amount of time and slice.
6. Remove the bay leaf, drain the vegetables, and mash them.
7. Add milk and butter.
8 Stir in the hot, sliced smoked sausage, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
*Add in the tablespoon of vinegar, without this the recipe is missing that little something.
Klassieke boerenkool stamppot
Allerhande 1 2000 Retrieved October 11, 2013
1 kg aardappels (kruimig)
600 g boerenkool (panklare)
2 rookworsten (a 250 g)
25 g boter of margarine
1 el azijn*
1. Aardappels schillen, wassen en in stukken snijden. Boerenkool in grote pan doen en aardappels erop leggen. Ca. 2 1/2 dl water en 1 theelepel zout toevoegen. Op matig hoog vuur boerenkool en aardappels afgedekt aan de kook brengen. Boerenkool in ca. 10 minuten laten slinken.
2. Rookworsten uit verpakking nemen en op aardappels leggen. Boerenkool en aardappels afgedekt in nog ca. 15 minuten zachtjes gaar koken. Rookworsten uit pan nemen en onder deksel warm houden.
3. Boerenkool en aardappels afgieten en kookvocht opvangen in kom. Met aardappelstamper boerenkool en aardappels fijnstampen. Boter en azijn toevoegen. Alles goed door elkaar roeren en al roerend steeds scheutje kookvocht toevoegen tot alles smeuïg is.
4. Al roerend stamppot nog enkele minuten doorwarmen. Op smaak brengen met zout, peper en eventueel nog scheutje azijn. Boerenkoolstamppot op vier borden scheppen. Rookworst in plakjes snijden en op boerenkool leggen. Lekker met piccalilly of mosterd.
VOEDINGSWAARDEN (per eenpersoonsportie)
Energie: 680 kcal = Calories
Eiwit: 28 g = Protein
Vet: 43 g = Fat
Koolhydraten: 45 g = Carbohydrates
This is a super easy recipe. Have fun!